top of page

Naomi Oreskes

"Naomi Oreskes is Professor of the History of Science and Affiliated Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences. She recently arrived at Harvard after spending 15 years as Professor of History and Science Studies at the University of California, San Diego, and Adjunct Professor of Geosciences at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Professor Oreskes’s research focuses on the earth and environmental sciences, with a particular interest in understanding scientific consensus and dissent." from her bio info.

At her lecture this past Thursday for the "Western Reads" program at WWU she had several salient points that stood out:97% of practicing scientists support the theory that mankind is responsible for the dramatic increase in the warming of our earth. The remaining 3% is broken down as follows: 2% believe some warming is caused by humans, 1% believe there is no warming.

The goal of peer reviewed science is to find fault with and dispute scientific theory and there are 5 main standards that scientists evaluate scientific claims:

1.Methodological standards,

2.Evidentiary standards,

3.Performance standards,

4.Inference to best explanation,

5. Consensus.

Contrarian views - those that say warming isn't caused my man - they don't show up as peer reviewed studies because they cannot pass the scientific standards.

We are at a political and cultural tipping point with global warming and the fossil fuel companies are doing everything in their power to burn more coal, process more tar sands, fracking, and drilling to make as much profit as possible.It is morally and ethically wrong.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Classic
  • Twitter Classic
bottom of page